Livna nVidia problems...

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 14:16:08 UTC 2007

On 6/23/07, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Grr, sods!  Some might think that not an issue, since you don't change
> > graphic cards that much, usually.  But you may if you test people's
> > machines.  And the same issue bites you if you try to go back to the
> > open source nv driver to get around something you can't get to work with
> > the nvidia driver (I experienced that, myself).
>
> This is the worst thing about the official nivida installer, and why I will
> never use it.

Running:
nvidia-installer --uninstall
puts everything back to the way it was prior to installing the nvidia
driver.  You're also welcome to continue believing and/or spreading
the misinformation of others.

> The livna rpms work around this and install the nvidia opengl libs in such a
> way that it doesn't conflict with the default ones, but exist side by side.

That isnt' accurate.  They still conflict.  You can't use both sets of
libGL libraries simultaneously.  What is your need for having both
sets when you'd only want to use NVIDIA's libGL?

> At a later date you can just remove the rpm and end up back where you start,
> with a work nv driver.

Or run the command that I provided above.