Livna nVidia problems...

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 23 15:57:09 UTC 2007

> Unforch Chris, that would take you out of the kernel development business
> since you'll have to wait for a kernel to make it to livna before you can
> use your machine.  I'm one of those folks who play canary in the coal mine
> as I just booted to 2.6.22-rc5-cfs-v18 about 3 hours ago, and my card is
> working just fine.  Google-Earth, Stellarium works great.

In the cases where I have wanted to run a kernel that livna did not have an
rpm for, I just download the srpm and roll my own nvidia kmod rpm for that
kernel. If you are familiar with the system it takes no longer really than
running the nvidia installer, plus it means I don't have to abandon the
benefits of the fedora update system (yum/apt whatever rocks your boot).

This though, is surely a minority case. For most uses that just roll with the
standard kernels, no one is going to convince me that an rpm based system
isn't the most convenient... ( Challenge ;) )