Livna nVidia problems...

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 22:07:55 UTC 2007

On 6/23/07, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Those logs don't appear to have been generated under the same
> > conditions.  You've got a verbose 'nv' driver log, and a non-verbose
> > nvidia driver log.
>
> Not intentional. All I did was update xorg.conf to switch back from the nvidia
> driver to the nv one (and comment out the lines explicity setting the
> vert/hori freqs).
>

> > Right.  If you'd like further assistance, please start X with the
> > following command (for the nvidia driver):
> > startx -- -logverbose 6
> >
> > and then generate and provide an nvidia-bug-report.log.
>
> Available here
>
> http://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/~jonesc/nvidia-bug-report.log
>
> Note  I'm quite happy just setting the freqs. by hand in my xorg.conf file, so
> no real problem here,  but it would be interesting to know for sure where the
> error lies.

Thanks.  There are a few problems here.  First the EDID violates the
specification standard:
(II) NVIDIA(0): First detailed timing not preferred mode in violation
of standard!

The the first detailed timing listed in the EDID should always be the
preferred native mode.  Your CRT is not doing that.

You've commented out the entire Monitor section, so the driver is
going back to internal defaults for hsync & vrefresh, which gives you:
(II) NVIDIA(0): <default monitor>: Using default hsync range of 31.50-37.90 kHz

However, the EDID for your display specifies that 1600x1200 needs an
85Hz refresh rate.  However, this means that you need a 107.1Khz
hsync:
(II) NVIDIA(0): #0: hsize: 1600  vsize 1200  refresh: 85  vid: 22953

Since the internal defaults only go as high as 37.90, the mode fails
to validate:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (hsync out of range)

So basically, if you uncomment the Monitor section, and specify much
broader ranges, you'll likely fix the problem.