FC7 Power Down/Power Button issue

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 24 23:18:19 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike Cisar wrote:
>> Have a new system, thought I’d use it to do some testing of FC7…  did a
>> clean install, no additional packages other than the defaults.

(power button does not shut down the system)
> I am not sure if it is the same in F7, but you can in FC6 you can
> control what happens when you hit the power button from Power
> Manager. (gnome-power-manager)
>
> Mikkel

F7 has the default of "ask me" for the power button. It is configurable
by going to system/preferences/system/power management. I like the
selected defaults for power management because I accidentally powered
down on many occasions by out of habit hitting the power button on first
getting to the computer. Now I get the shutdown prompt when the power
button i pressed. The setting can be set to suspend, hibrnate or
shutdown also.

I had to hunt for it prior to posting. The location and menu structure
is not intuitive but works and is memorable once the location is found.
(Until it is moved again on a rethinking for the menu structure.)

Now for the original posters problem with the power button not
functioning as before, not even the prompt. I have no idea if it is
helpful to know this configuration option.

Jim