Alsa Mixer now works fine!

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 10:05:43 UTC 2007

On 25/06/07, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 23Jun2007 19:31, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> >    Now that I have loaded a few of the older gstreamer rpm files in the
> > proper order I have fixed the Volume Control bug for Fedora Core 6. I do
> > not have a Fedora 7 running to test this fix on that version but it will
> > work I think.
>
> Care to outline exactly what you changed, and exactly what behaviour it
> fixes? It is typical on some lists (not this one - too little
> discipline:-) to post a summary article, often with the subject line of
> the preceeding discussion with the word "SUMMARY:" at the from or
> "[SOLVED]" at the back.

Reverting GStreamer updates in order to restore the visual appearance
and behaviour of the GNOME Volume Control application.

> There's no obligation here, just courtesy - it may help others; remember
> that those reading the summary may not have read the preceeding discussion; a
> short outline of the problem is useful as well.

Questionable and partially wasted energy. Rolling back updates may
serve as a temporary work-around and may help in finding out *when*
something has changed, but it is far from "a fix". It is ugly, and
it's ridiculous to advertise such a work-around as something users of
Fedora 6 may need to apply. The package updates are supposed to work
fine. If they cause regression, file a bug report or search for the
cause of the symptoms (API changes? normal bugs?). More energy ought
to be spent on actually fixing the latest packages (which includes
F7).