problems upgrading from FC6 to F7

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Jun 25 15:04:32 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 13:55 -0400, Marc wrote:
>> No I haven't used any labels.  I haven't done anything; I am just
>> trying to do an upgrade.  My FC6 may have labels, I don't know.
>
> It does, by default.  So unless you went in and modified things, you've
> got them.  They're, generally, a good thing, but you get problems if you
> try to add another OS (whether by another drive, or more partitions on
> one drive) if the labels are not unique.

Looking at /etc/fstab will tell you whether or not you have labels
and/or are using them to mount your partitions.  vol_id is a useful tool
to let you see if *any* partition has a label at all.  Including your
swap partitions.  I found it seems to have moved between my FC5 machine
(where it is in /sbin/vol_id) and my FC6 machin (where I found it in
/lib/udev/vol_id).

I'm getting my FC5 system ready for its impending F-7 upgrade, and I
read the F-7 release notes first looking for "gotchas".  This was the
biggest one I saw that would affect me.  So far, I've rebooted once
successfully with data partition labels, and I've just labeled my swap
partitions and successfully re-enabled them with "swapon -a", so I
should be all set here now.  My /etc/fstab now uses labels for all my
local mounts.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com