USB Controller failing?

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 20:59:28 UTC 2007

So, today and a few days ago (prior to upgrading FC6 to FC7, partially
sparked by this issue to see if it would resolve it) my USB controller
in my laptop has been going wonky. Occasionally, on startup, just before
the part with the blue "Fedora" word, it would spit out a whole lot of
error messages, and from then on my USB ports would not work. Sometimes
it doesn't happen then, but later on, sometimes a couple minutes after
login. Also, when I reboot after this happens, sometimes the laptop gets
stuck on the BIOS boot screen and won't respond, forcing a hard
shutdown. I am led to believe this is related to overheating, as it is
very hot and humid today, and probably was a few days ago when this
happened before.
Anyway, in hopes that there is a software or perhaps bios reason at
fault as well, here is an example of what dmesg spits out when the fail
happens, and my IRQ setup thing:

[grinnz at localhost ~]$ dmesg
usb 2-1: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-1: device descriptor read/all, error -71
usb 2-1: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-1: device not accepting address 3, error -71
usb 2-1: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-1: device descriptor read/all, error -71
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: host controller process error, something bad
happened!
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: host controller halted, very bad!
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: HC died; cleaning up
usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 3
hub 2-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -19)
hub 2-0:1.0: cannot disable port 1 (err = -19)
hub 2-0:1.0: cannot disable port 1 (err = -19)

[grinnz at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:      94249   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:       2838   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  6:          6   IO-APIC-edge      floppy
  7:          0   IO-APIC-edge      parport0
  8:          1   IO-APIC-edge      rtc
  9:       8634   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 12:      10671   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
 14:      18066   IO-APIC-edge      libata
 15:       5830   IO-APIC-edge      libata
 16:      29232   IO-APIC-fasteoi   yenta, uhci_hcd:usb1, eth0,
radeon at pci:0000:01:00.0
 18:          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   Intel ICH6
 19:          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   Intel ICH6 Modem
 20:        835   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb2
 21:         46   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb3
 22:          3   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4, ehci_hcd:usb5
 23:      13543   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ipw2200
NMI:          0
LOC:     112218
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

One thing I would like to point out is that I am not using eth0 (my
wired connection) currently, but it seems to be having issues as well,
as NetworkManager will attempt to connect to the wired network (???)
through eth1 perhaps? Failing this it correctly switches to connecting
to a wireless network, but then occasionally still says Connected to
Wired Network...
Now I am concerned (possibly baselessly, as I have no knowledge of IRQs)
that it may be related to all the
devices on IRQ 16. (cardbus, usb1, eth0, and my video card; note I don't
use cardbus ever)

Thanks for any help,
-Dan