Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Tue Jun 26 08:46:36 UTC 2007

On Jun 25 Steven P. Ulrick did spake thusly:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:05:14 +0100
> Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>>> Tim wrote:
>
>>> Give me one example of how they can make my life difficult.
>>>
>>> Have fun ;-)
>>
>> My wife had three experiences the last week or so.
>
>> 2) Attempted to attach a PDF while sending from her hotmail account.
>> New special feature on Hotmail: you have to have specifically IE to
>> attach anything.  Obviously there is zero technical reason for that.
>
> Hello, Everyone
> I just tried to attach and send three jpeg's while logged into my
> Hotmail account.  The jpeg's weighed in at 2.41 MB.  Using the only two
> graphical browsers that I have installed on our Fedora Core 6 system,
> it worked perfectly.
>
> That said, even though the above worked for me (but not for your wife,)
> when my wife tries to go to the following website
> (http://www.marykayintouch.com) using Firefox, she is redirected to the
> following page:
> http://applications.marykayintouch.com/Login/main/RequireIE.aspx
>
> Here is the text that you would see if you browsed to the above link
> using Firefox (in my case, 2.0.0.4 Bon Echo compiled from source):
>
> Intouch has detected that your Mozilla browser must be upgraded.
> Browser Name: Mozilla
> Major Version: 1
> Minor Version: 0.8
> Platform: UNIX
>
> The InTouch Community requires a 4.0 compliant browser like IE 5.0
>
> Click   to download the latest version of Internet Explorer
>
> The thing that is really embarrassing about the above error message, and
> the resultant inability to access this site with Firefox (on Linux,
> anyway...) is that if I go to the same site using Konqueror 3.5.7, it
> works perfectly.  In my case Konqueror is set to identify
> itself as:
> "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux) KHTML/3.5.7
> (like Gecko)"
>
> I would be interested in seeing how/why this site seems to think that
> that is superior to the latest Firefox....
>
> Apparently this is how Bon Echo identifies itself:
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070621 BonEcho/2.0.0.4
>

> Here is how the Firefox that ships with FC6 identifies itself:
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070530 Fedora/1.5.0.12-1.fc6 Firefox/1.5.0.12
>
> I've even had one site (can't remember what it is right now) that the
> only browser I could use under Linux to access that site was
> Konqueror.  The REALLY cool part about that site was that I had to set
> Konqueror to NOT IDENTIFY ITSELF!  So, if the site detected that
> Konqueror identified itself as what it really was, or if I set it to
> identify itself as some version of Internet Explorer, it would not
> work.  BUT, if I set Konqueror to not identify itself at all, the site
> worked perfectly...  I will leave it to all of you experts to interpret
> [...]

This is nothing to do with firefox or mozilla or KDE or gnome or fedora,
it's simply a crap web designer/programmer who needs shooting. Complain to
the website if you can't access it, there's no reason at all for you not
being able to

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Q:	What do you call the money you pay to the government when
 	you ride into the country on the back of an elephant?
A:	A howdah duty.