running programs from user acctount as root

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Tue Jun 26 19:07:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 06:50 -0700, Ashley Pritchard wrote:
> thank you Mike Chambers for the suggestion.
> Since when did the su command change it has always been su root & have
> never seen any documentation says su - root. Any how just to try it
> here is the result:

For your reference, just "su" or "su -" is all you need, you don't have
to add "root" at the end of it.

If you don't need to be in root's paths, you only have to use "su" as
you are doing.  But if you want the paths the belong to root's profile,
then you have to use "su -", otherwise, you'll have to use the
complete /path/to/the/command to run it.  The command "chkconfig" (the
command itself, not the using the path to it) is an example of not being
able to be ran with just "su", but having to use "su -" to use it
(again, unless you use the complete path to the command).

As far as your pup problem, you can run that as normal user, just give
the root password when it asks for it in the gui.  But as far as your
xlib error, not sure on that one.

(hrm, after reading that again, think I even confused myself hehe.)

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best little town on Earth!"