Headless Fedora?

Steven Ringwald asric at asric.com
Thu Jun 28 08:31:40 UTC 2007

Montana Quiring wrote:

> I would like to setup a headless Fedora box (i.e. No X).
> Is there an install parameter or respin I can use to accomplish this,
> or should I not bother?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.

When I installed a headless system, I chose the "customize now" option
for package selection, and then made sure to deselect all the packages I
could, making sure that yum got installed, and then used yum/rpm to
remove any straggling X packages/libraries that got installed. If you
have a system installed already, with X running, just change
/etc/inittab to start at runlevel 3 instead of 5. I can send you more
details on the latter, if that is your case.

Hope this helps!
Steve