Formatting CDs

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 28 13:43:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 16:04 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 08:26 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I don't know what to respond to people who won't admit there is an
> > advantage to being able to treat a CD-RW as if it is a hard-drive.
>
> Well, more like a giant floppy than a hard drive (tedius, slow, and not
> too reliably).

If it makes anyone happier it is like a big floppy rather than a hard
drive. So is a zip drive. But they are very handy for saving files for
backup purposes. Not files of many megs but files bigger than 1.4M.
> I have played with InCD, in the past.  You needed appropriate drivers to
> read files written that way on any system that needs to read the disc
> (hence why it's warned against using it for backups, or anything
> important).  I'd imagine that driver problem still exists in Windows,
> unless Windows came with extra, special, drivers by now.  Though the
> various packet schemes used to be incompatible with each other (Nero's
> versus others).
On windoiws you don't need special drivers. But the truth is as follows:
1. I finally tried it. Windows formatted CD-RW will not work in Linux
machines.
2. The company that makes CD-RW says that it is good for 1000 accesses
but it is not.
3. However if you don't have a zip drive these CDs are great for backups
of moderate size files that you want to do regularly.

With that I think we have killed this subject.

> It's something you have to test rather than just depend on.
>
> --
> [tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
> 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386
>
> Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5.  Today, it's FC7.

"Elves and Dragons!" I says to him. "Cabbages and potatoes are better
for you and me." -- J. R. R. Tolkien
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net