ssh - cannot log in

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jun 28 14:50:17 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 21:44 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> His problem has more to do with his IP address, which he's working on.
>> Dunno why his router seems to be giving out IPs on a first come, first
>> served basis, rather than the same IP as last time.

If the lease has expired, it may get the next available IP address.
If the router purges expired lease information, it definitely will.
  Then there are the people that power down the router on the home
network when they are not using it...

I had one person complaining about having problems withe the network
coming up when they had the moden, router, and computer on the same
power strip, and turned off the power strip when they were done
using the computer for the day. It was taking longer for the modem
and router to do the power on self tests, and sync up then it was
taking the computer to get to the point of making the dhcp request.

> Maybe he's one of those unfortunates with two NICs with the same MAC?

Wouldn't that cause all kinds of network problems? I thought network
protocals depended on the MAC address to reach machines on the local
network, and the MAC address of the gateway to reach other networks.

Mikkel