ssh - cannot log in

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 28 16:41:19 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> If the lease has expired, it may get the next available IP address.
> If the router purges expired lease information, it definitely will.

Usually the default lease times are long enough that it shouldn't
happen.  Of course there's no accounting for devices with dumb settings.

Tim:
>> Maybe he's one of those unfortunates with two NICs with the same MAC?

> Wouldn't that cause all kinds of network problems?

Yes it does.  It's the sort of thing that shoddy manufacturers do.

> I thought network protocals depended on the MAC address to reach
> machines on the local network,

Yes, they do.  I think manufactures that pull that stunt are relying on
the cheapo cards being bought by the average home user who probably
isn't going to buy two at the same time.  You can change the MAC on
quite a number of ethernet cards.  You might have to do it on each
power-on, though.

> and the MAC address of the gateway to reach other networks.

Dunno about this part, sounds reasonable.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.