Mail log problem -

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jun 28 21:15:29 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 2:14 PM -0400 6/28/07, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
>>
>>> I had been using  Mail -s "msg-logs" bobgoodwin at wildblue.net <
>>> /var/spool/mail/bobg
>>> until about three weeks ago when it quit working.
>>>
>>> I am beginning to think that my ISP has done something to cause these
>>> messages not to go through since it appeared to me that they were
>>> making
>>> changes that created a lot of disruption in the mail server
>>> operation at
>>> that time.
>>>
>>> I have been trying to send other files such as:
>>>
>>> Mail -s "msg-logs" bobgoodwin at wildblue.net < /home/bobg/ootext/FAP.txt
>>>
>>> with no success, nothing comes back?  Normally these are filtered
>>> into a
>>> Thunderbird directory "msg-logs"  The filter set up looks ok. I haven't
>>> changed anything there and if it didn't work I would hope the mail
>>> would
>>> just show up in Inbox.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I could see the outgoing message to be sure it is
>>> actually being sent?
>>>
>>> Can someone suggest a logical way to troubleshoot this problem?  I've
>>> been putting this problem off but it's an annoyance that needs fixing!
>>>

>> Send some small test mail that way.
>>
>>     []$ mail -s 'test' bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
>>     test 1
>>     <Ctl-D>CC:
>>     []$
>>

> Nothing I try gets through ...
>
>> Try tar'ing the dir up as a .tgz and see if that gets through.
>>
> I tried sending an existing ".tgz" file, no different.
>
>> Inspect the mail settings the ISP provides; turn off their
>> spamassasin if
>> you can.
>>

> I am not aware of any way to do that.  In fact they don't mention
> processing mail for spam although they may do so.  I don't see
> anything listed under events in Firestarter so it looks like it's not
> blocked there.
>
> I just haven't been able to find anything but I would like to see the
> message that is supposed to be sent.  Don't know how to get that?
>
> Bob Goodwin

    Hi Bob, the head of the IP dept at NMSU used mail because he got
several hundred emails daily back then. I just played around with mail
and read all my root mail which I normally use pine to deal with.

    But then it occurs to me that you have at least a couple of users on
your Linux.  You can check if mail is working properly between these
users on your own computer. If not then you know where to start. I will
try to get my mail to work as well. This is old time stuff.

Karl