selinux eradicator?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jun 29 02:41:29 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:43:54 -0400
>> Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>>

> Hello all,
>
>    Here is why I used the excellent advice given earlier on this list
> and turned off selinux. It didn't hurt and took about 5 minutes because
> you must re-boot to make it work.
>
>    I turned it off because it does nothing good that I could tell, was a
> mess on my dmesg printout and others talked about real problems with it.
> I have not received a single virus and no-one ever got into my computer
> in 10 years without selinux. I have no need for insurance.
>
> Karl

Maybe the intruders were merely covering their tracks better. I doubt
that you had intrusions into your system. I don't think I had too many
intrusions, though it is only because nothing seemed to be acting
abnormally on my systems.

I did however read some Google searches from Italy where my name was a
topic back in RHL 5.x days where firewalls and the like were less
effective. I did not have a router and ipchains may or may not have been
running. Sendmail was the topic.

More security measures that are configurable are alright with me. The
insurance is welcome in my view.

Anyway, the issue is removing all SELinux packages or start a new distro
or find another distribution where eradicating SELinux is a goal they
desire.

Jim