F7 : vncserver and gnome fighting

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Jun 29 04:17:23 UTC 2007

On FC6 I could startx and vncserver in pretty much any order and all was
well*

Under F7 I see an oddity in that some panels widgets only survive as
"first instance".

Let the system be setup with /etc/sysconfig/vncservers -> 1:user 2:user.

Case 1 : vncserver before startx : The vnc clients have all widgets
displayed as expected whether or not user starts X. If user logs in, and
starts X, two configured widgets do not appear that should be present.
Attempting to add the two missing widgets to the panel fail. "vncserver
wins".

Case 2 : startx first, then vncserver : The user desktop has all panels
and widgets displayed as configured. Now start vncserver. In this case,
the vnc connections show the same two widgets missing. "desktop wins".

So it looks like a "first instance wins" problem under F7. I tested this
against FC6 and all widgets are present in both scenarios.

The two widgets that appear in one place and not the other are Clock and
Window List.

Shall I bz this?

*an interesting case under FC6 and F7, if one starts a desktop, without
vncserver running, then opens an xterm, becomes root, and starts
vncserver, the servers take a long time to start and an error about a
timeout on /root/.xauthXXX error is displayed as each instance starts.