which grub to edit?

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 07:48:47 UTC 2007

Tim <ignored_mailbox <at> yahoo.com.au> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 07:33 -0700, Thufir wrote:
> > pardon if I posted this before.  I was working on grub last night.
> > Win2k and Fedora 7 are on sda (hda) while FC3 is on sdb (hdb).  The
> > MBR on sda is being used, I believe.
> >
> > Which grub do I edit to get all OS's booting?  I tried a few
> > variations, mucking with the one in /boot/grub/... from FC3, but
> > wasn't able to hit on the correct combination.
>
> Crude way to figure this out:  Presuming that they don't all have
> identical set-ups.  Note what your options are in the boot menu, see
> which grub.conf file has the same ones.  That's the one being paid
> attention to.

IIRC I opted to use hda (sda) for grub when installing FC3, which is what was
most recently installed?  How could I confirm this?

By trial and error, /boot/grub/grub.conf from FC3 (hdb) is being used.  This
fits with FC3 having been most recently installed.

Should I add some sort of map to get FC7 booting?  I'm not sure what this would
do, but....

At present, FC7 isn't booting.  How many chainloader +1 statements are needed?
I've tried a few variations.

Any and all thoughts welcome.  I'd like to boot back into Fedora 7.  FC3 is
nostalgic, but, ....

thanks,

Thufir