Centrino duo, card reader and Linux

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Fri Jun 29 20:11:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007 16:46:30 Phil Meyer wrote:
> Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Centrino Duo notebook which has an embedded card reader (for
> > memory sticks, SD cards, XD cards, etc.). No card inserted in the reader
> > is detected by Fedora. I was hoping that the new F7 kernel would support
> > it, but the reader is still dead after the upgrade.
> > lspci shows:
> > (...)
> > 05:03.1 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822
> > SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
> > 05:03.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)
> > 05:03.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host
> > Adapter (rev 0a)
> > 05:03.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev
> > 05)
>
> That is the exact same device in my laptop and it works great.
> I have tried 1GB 2GB and 4GB regular SD cards.
> I have NOT tried 8GB SDHC cards.
>
> What card are you trying?
>
> The driver in question is: mmc, which includes mmc_core and mmc_block.
> Do the drivers load for you?
>
> Plug in a SD card and:
>
> # lsmod | grep mmc
>
> and
>
> dmesg | tail
>
> You should see something like this from dmesg:
>
> mmcblk0: mmc0:1234 SD04G 4018176KiB
>  mmcblk0: p1
>

> Good luck!

If the driver is loaded then you might find this a help from a previous post.
I have copied and paste

This is determined by
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi.
You can either edit it or just move it out of that location and auto
mounting would work.

It has been done as a security measure but policy kit in Fedora 8 should
make this much more usable. There is a recent discussion in fedora-devel
list about this FYI.

Rahul

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)