The new gimp in core (6)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 30 14:21:05 UTC 2007

Greetings;

Warning, here I am going to repeat some parts of a rant I've made before.
Several times in fact.

Like many who run Epson printers simply because the output color quality is
worth it, I find I am stuck in a catch 22.  I cannot update my gimp install
with your new packages.

Why?

The new gimp packaging is apparently hard coded in its dependencies to
absolutely depend on gimp-print-4.2.7-23 and its plugin of the same version
number.

I installed, using checkinstall, gutenprint-5.1.0 which includes this renamed
plugin, back in February as it fixed many long standing bugs such as the
bottom of the page color fades, and now allows flawless borderless printing
too.  I am not about to screw up my printing ability by allowing a working
very well installation to be over-written with broken code by false
dependencies such as this.

gimp-print has essentially been frozen in time at version 4.2.7 for at least 2
years, maybe longer, and any support is totally up to the individual distro,
so I fail to see any logic or reasoning behind the redhat/fedora reticence in
adopting gutenprint in its place.  It simply doesn't grok here.

Short of downloading the new gimp and installing it --nodeps --force, all by
hand, which will work for me I'm sure, or building it from the tarball which
I've also been known to do when fedora ignores known problems for months at a
time, how do I convince TPTB that gimp-print is a deadend that should be
deprecated and gutenprint used to replace it?

Or, perhaps better yet, give those of us with the ability to DO something
about the ancient gimp-print by installing gutenprint, the ability to do it
cleanly by removing the patently _false_ dependencies on gimp-print from the
gimp packaging.  That would be the ideal situation since there is not in fact
an actual, gimp won't run without it, cross dependency.  Gimp will in fact
use any plugin it finds to print through, or if there is none, the print
dialog is removed, but no other function in gimp needs it or references it.

Thanks for reading.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)