Need to block ?

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Jun 30 15:12:56 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bob Goodwin - W2BOD writes:
>
>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> And your router is?  Downstairs in the family room.  Only kidding,
>>> it's a Netgear wireless router which I can control from this box.
>>>
>> I've set it to block 64.18.5.0/24 and will wait to see what happens
>> since the problem is not manifest at the moment.  Since the grandsons
>> have been at camp this week there are only two other computers in
>> use, a Windows XP and a Mac and I'm not sure who's causing the
>> problem but need to stop the bleeding first!
>>
>> I used 255 because it's set up to assign DHCP above 21.
>
> You do not understand.
>
> 64.18.5.0/24 represents the IP address range 64.18.5.0 - 68.18.5.255.
I understand now that it has been explained to me.  Thanks to all.

> Furthermore, since you claim that you're uploading data there, and
> this range appears to be assigned to Postini's mail servers, it's a
> fairly good bet that your XP box has been hacked, and turned into a
> spam zombie.
I pulled the ethernet cable from that box ...  Will see if that helps?

This is what alerted me to the problem:

        06/27/2007 04:56:00 1739 12529

        06/28/2007 11:51:25 1568 12677

        06/29/2007 15:52:31 2765 12510

        06/30/2007 05:20:19 3100 12993

The last column is data received by me, the one before it is data sent,
both in gig's.  I am limited to 17 and 5 gig's per 30 days so I check it
often.  My daughter is a photographer and uploads some large image files
but has not done so during the period considered here.

http://users.wildblue.net/bobgoodwin/Etherapeshot-4.png is a screen shot
of my etherape display when the connection is active.

I really don't need this!

Bob Goodwin