The new gimp in core (6)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 30 15:19:50 UTC 2007

On Saturday 30 June 2007, Alexander Volovics wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 10:21:05AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Warning, here I am going to repeat some parts of a rant I've made before.
>> Several times in fact.
>>
>> Like many who run Epson printers simply because the output color quality
>> is worth it, I find I am stuck in a catch 22.  I cannot update my gimp
>> install with your new packages.
>>
>> The new gimp packaging is apparently hard coded in its dependencies to
>> absolutely depend on gimp-print-4.2.7-23 and its plugin of the same
>> version number.
>>
>> -----------truncated----------------------------------
>
>Hello Gene,
>
>An update to Fedora 7 might fix your problem:
>Here are the files installed bij default in Fedora7-x86_64:
>
>gimp-2.2.15-3.fc7
>gimp-help-2-0.1.0.12.fc7
>gimp-libs-2.2.15-3.fc7
>xsane-gimp-0.994-3.fc7
>gutenprint-5.0.0.99.1-3.fc7
>gutenprint-plugin-5.0.0.99.1-3.fc7
>gutenprint-foomatic-5.0.0.99.1-3.fc7
>
>PS
>However depending on your Epson printer I wouldn't expect
>any wonders from the gutenprint drivers.

Wrong!  At least for the cxx epsons, its great.

>Though the placement of the print borders and the general
>quality of the print have improved markedly the colors are
>still abominable (at least on my Epson Stylus Photo R200).
>For quality photo prints I have to use the Epson software
>supplied with the printer under Windows.
>Linux remains nog go.
>
>Alexander

I'm sorry you feel that way Alexander.  I have actually sold a few color
prints from my C82 (yeah, I know, its ancient), they ARE that good and the
ink is archival.  Most papers I've found will need a coat of fixative though
for mechanical protection.  But thanks for the warning that gimp-print and
the r200's don't mix.  I think that has been improved in gutenprint however.

For instance on my old c82, for red, I get a real red, whereas the hp's are
noticeably orange & I haven't been able to come up with a word that
adequately describes what lexmark printers do to reds.  I have excellent
color vision but that has an achilles heel too, I almost have to carry a bat
in a cage around at night & use his sonar.

But, you do not address the real problem here either, the false dependencies
in this new gimp package.  It doesn't need gimp-print to function as gimp,
gimp-print is only an addition to the menu that enables printing.  Please
repack it without those dependencies.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)