F7 - why so few mirrors?

Boris Glawe public at boris-glawe.de
Fri Jun 1 13:42:21 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy schrieb:
> I'm currently downloading Fedora-7 from the nearest mirror,
> and I am told it will take 5 days ...

I've found some mirrors that sent me the DVD image within 3 hours. Try
some other mirrors, even if they aren't located close to you.

> I tried bittorrent, but this was forbidden
> presumably by my ISP.
>
> My recollection is that there were far more mirror sites for FC-6.
> Is that wrong?
>
> Incidentally, while it doesn't affect me since I don't burn the ISOs,
> the decision not to offer CD ISOs seems bizarre to me.
> What was the justification?

I've downloaded the iso image, and the rescuecd image. I burnt the
rescuecd image and booted from it. You have the choice at boot, whether
you want to rescue your system or whether you want to install an new
sytem. I did the latter.
During the installation routine, you can specify the partition and the
directory on this partition, where the DVD image is located. From that
point on, the installation proceeds as usually. the only thing, that
must be given is a partition that will not be formated during the
installation which contains the dvd image, of course!
This installation method is both extremely fast, as data is read from
the harddisk and not from a dvd and makes it possible to install without
having a dvd burner!

greets Boris