Tired of making coasters

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Jun 2 04:23:51 UTC 2007

I've tried two different burners and the most data I can fit onto a
700MB CDR seems to be about 733MB.  The image for the x86_64 Fedora 7
live CD is 780MB (817156096 bytes).  Anyone have any suggestions as to
how to fit the x86_64 ISO image onto a 700MB CDR?  I'm attempting to
write the ISO to either of:

[root at bend ~]# cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
CR-48X9TE (Mitsumi)
[root at bend ~]# cat /proc/ide/hdc/model
SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A

using K3B and the blank CDRs are Memorex 700MB CDRs.  The best result
was with the Sony DVD burner which managed to write 733MB before getting
an error.  Is there a different media manufacturer who produces blank
CDRs with more capacity?  Alternatively, can I just write the CD ISO to
a DVD+R?  I'd like to confirm certain functionality using the live CD
*before* I install FC^h7 so a network install doesn't cut it.

Commentary: I can appreciate the benefits of having a live CD for
installation.  It strikes me as silly to make said live CD image larger
than will nominally fit on a CDR.

Thanks,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce