Install DVD hang after boot selection screen, but before anaconda

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 2 04:43:20 UTC 2007

Austin Meyer wrote:
> I am running fedora core 6, I want to upgrade to Fedora 7.  I
> attempted to install Fedora 7 test 4, and had the same problem, but I
> just assumed it was a bug that was going to be fixed for the release.
> I downloaded the install dvd, did a checksum to make sure I had the
> whole thing, then burned it to a dvd and verified the burn right
> after.  I inserted the DVD, it booted to the boot selection screen, I
> have tried the first three options, and all of them begin to run
> initrd then the line of dots.  All of them stop right after the dots
> (right after it returns "Ready.").  It doesn't truly hang because the
> computer does not freeze, I can push the eject button on the disc
> drive, it ejects fine and responds quickly.  That's the only thing I
> can do though, I have changed the bios settings to see if that's the
> problem and it just does the same thing every time.  What should I try
> to fix this problem?  It's quite frustrating because I have almost no
> things that could possibly make it freeze there... it seems my
> hardware should be supported because I'm running fc 6 with all
> updates.  Thanks for your help.

Can you provide a smolt hardware profile {for fc6} ?
http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/stats
Then paste the system link here, so that we don't have to go through the
HW guessing game ;)

Are all your disks labelled ?:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f7/en_US/sn-Installer.html#Upgrade-Related-Issues

DaveT.