F7 - why so few mirrors?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 2 05:37:30 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm currently downloading Fedora-7 from the nearest mirror,
> and I am told it will take 5 days ...
>
> I tried bittorrent, but this was forbidden
> presumably by my ISP.
>
> My recollection is that there were far more mirror sites for FC-6.
> Is that wrong?

The mirrors project now actively tracks mirror status. Mirrors aren't
listed until they are synced up. This is a good thing - it is pretty
pointless to be provided a URL that doesn't work {yet} by the old static
mirror list.

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/7/

Watch the number grow over the next few days !
[it is's already 21..27..29..38..42]

The yum updates repo mirrorlist is also an active {based in ip location}
list, so you should get mirrors within your country mostly.

DaveT.