Sprint Novatel Ovation U720 USB phone very slow on Fedora

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 2 05:51:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 13:04 -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:
> I finally got a chance to try this and used the wvdial thing vs. kpp.
> It works great! It was pretty dang fast.
>
> Now I have one more dumb question. I have it set as a network
> interface. So, in order to get to it, they have to click system >
> network > administration > network and then they activate the
> interface. When they do that, it asks for the root password. Is there
> no way to activate that without supplying the  root password?
>
> The guy was taking the laptop out of town. I did not notice the
> problem until 3 minutes before he left and did not have time to dig
> into the answer.

Command line:  ifup ppp0
(or whatever interface you want to bring up, instead of ppp0).

GUI:  modemlights panel applet, or "network device control" in the
applications, system tools menu.

You only need the root password to configure the network.  While
configuring it, there's an option to let any user bring that interface
up and down.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.