Fedora 7: Finishing upgrade process. This may take a little while...

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jun 2 14:58:45 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:

> Note that upgrades require min of 512MB RAM [to do the package
> dependency calculation in], and also approximately the same amount of
> free space on disk  as the currently installed OS files take. This is
> because all new packages are installed, and then the old packages are
> "Cleaned up" {erased}.

I don't think that is true, unless there has been a change in Fedora-7.
I upgraded on a machine with 375MB RAM under FC-6 without any problem.

People seem to make assertions about minimal hardware requirements
without any actual testing of what they say.

Is the package dependency calculation actually done in RAM?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366