Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Sat Jun 2 21:07:10 UTC 2007

On Saturday 02 June 2007 17:36, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> I have a 500 Mhz Pentium machine that runs FC5 very well.  I installed it
> using the multi-CD set.
>
> I can NOT put a DVD drive on the machine, because the minimum speed for
> DVD drives is around 800 Mhz, based on all the drive boxes I looked at
> when I investigated the matter.

I don't understand this. Are you saying that you have a DVD drive that does
not work on machines below 800 MHz? I would consider such drive to be broken.
My office machine is 750 MHz and the DVD drive on it works just fine. One of
my home machines is P2 on 333 MHz, and the DVD drive on it also works
perfectly. For data, of course. I do not watch any movies on it.

> The only way I can do an install of F7 equivalent to what I now have with
> FC5 is to have a multi-CD equivalent of the DVD.  Is there any place I can
> download it?  I haven't found one.  If I have a machine elsewhere that can
> read DVD's (and I do) is there a way for me to make the same kind of
> multi-CD set I need from the DVD?

As others proposed, burn the boot.iso and do the hard-disk installation. In
order to put the DVD iso image to your hard drive, chop it up in 700MB
pieces, burn them on CDs, copy those on your hard disk, and regenerate the
iso by connecting the pieces. I have never done this, but I guess cat and dd
would be enough for the chopping/glueing part. Surely someone on this list
can guide you on that step-by-step.

> Or has the Fedora Project, in its wisdom, decided to abandon people like
> me as users?

Don't think that way. Better focus on your ability to deal with the situation.
A piece of hardware is not smarter than a human, and should not limit you in
any way. Maybe make life a bit more complicated, but nothing is impossible,
as compared to some other OSes.

I also don't like the way this was done, but believe that someone will do the
several-cd-spin in a short time, and make it available for download. Too many
people are complaining, so... :-)

Besides, someone could be having Internet access only through a Windows
machine, and thus having even more trouble chopping the iso, while being
completely unable to spin one's own version (pungi & co. don't work on
Windows...). But that can also be dealt with (virtual machine running Fedora
and pungi etc), it is just a matter of effort one puts in it.

So you are not in a worst position, after all... :-)

Best, :-)
Marko

Marko Vojinovic
Institute of Physics