Fedora 7 install: DISK failure consideration

Markku Kolkka markkuk at tuubi.net
Sat Jun 2 22:23:23 UTC 2007

Sebastian Gurovich kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai,
2. kesäkuuta 2007):
> Can I make 1 LVM Group Volume over several physical partitions
> and later adjust Logical Volume capacities as needed?

Yes.

> Will this give me better chances to survive a potential hard
> drive catastrophe?

No. You need RAID >= 1 and proper backup procedures for that.

> OK thanks so Maybe then I need to
> (1) NTFS
> (2) Boot
> (4) /, /tmp, Swap
>
> with "/", "/tmp" and Swap being logical partitions in the
> extended partition BUT all logical partitions in (3) and (4)
> part of the same LVM Group Volume so I can adjust capacities
> of "/", "/home" "/tmp" and "Swap" individually. Would this
> work?

No. You can have /, /home, /tmp and swap _either_ as logical
partitions in the extended partition _or_ as logical volumes in
the LVM but not both at the same time.

> Interesting, maybe i am overdoing the space in "/"
> I guess I could always make it smaller with LVM

Extending partitions or logical volumes is always easier than
shrinking them. Shrinking a LVM root volume is especially
painful, see:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154874

--
 Markku Kolkka