strange shutdowns with F7 [Solved - I think]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Jun 3 17:15:02 UTC 2007

On Sun June 3 2007, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 12:01 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > Did a lot of testing today, poked around the messages log, went through
> > all the services...as long as I was working on the machine, it ran
> > perfectly. It was up for over an hour.  I let it go idle and went to this
> > machine. 10-15 minutes later, I heard the F7 box shut down.
>
> A problematic screensaver, perhaps?

Went into BIOS, since this seemed like a machine specific issue (no one else
was reporting the issue); I played around with some things and then found the
health monitor option and looked - my CPU was running at a temp of 80 degrees
Celsius!

Took the cover off the machine, and found the problem. The CPU fan cable was
hanging loose.

If this diagnosis is correct, it means that Fedora was doing a better job of
protecting my machine then Windows XP - kudos to the developers if that turns
out to be the case. (XP was quite willing to let the machine run and run,
Fedora was shutting it down.)

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA