F7: unable to upgrade from FC6 (weird hdaX errors)

André Costa blueser at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:04:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

I just tried to upgrade to F7 from my FC6 installation. Couldn't do it =(

First of all, anaconda didn't offer me to upgrade right away, default
was a fresh install (I guess I recall some complaints about it with
FC6 installation, I guess it still hasn't been fixed). No problem, I
chose "upgrade an existing installation", and it correctly offered me
to upgrade FC6 on /dev/sda3. My partition layout is:

~ fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2              14        1288    10241437+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3            1289        2563    10241437+  83  Linux
/dev/hda4            2564        9729    57560895    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5            2564        2690     1020096   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda6            2691        9729    56540736    b  W95 FAT32

(the FAT partition exists because I needed some common storage area
between XP and Linux before ntfs-3g)

However, when I clicked "Next" I received this error message:

"An error occurred mounting device hda6 as /windata. You may continue
installation, but there may be problems"

/etc/fstab looks like:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
defaults,user_xattr        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2               /win                    ntfs-3g
user,uid=500,gid=100,ro,nls=utf8    0 0
/dev/hda6               /windata                vfat
user,uid=500,gid=100,exec,posix  0 0
/dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

I was offered two options: "reboot" or "continue". I checked tty1-4.
but nothing seemed really wrong (aside from the fact that FAT
partition was being referenced as hda6 instead of sda6). I decided to
be brave (or stupid) and clicked "continue".

It didn't go too far: I was immediately presented with another error:

"Error enabling swap partition device hda5: no such file or directory.
The /etc/fstab on your upgrade partition does not reference a valid
swap partition. Press ok to reboot your system".

(notice again the 'hda5' instead of 'sda5'... could it be due to the
fact that I don't have LABELs for hda5 and hda6?)

Well, this time I could only reboot and come back to FC6 =(

Any hints on how to workaround this? Should I file a bug report?

If it helps, my system configuration is:

ASUS A7N-8X Deluxe E
Ahtlon XP 2700+
80GB Seagate ST380011A
1GB RAM