Long boot delay probing hardware

Jim Dever jdever at triad.rr.com
Sun Jun 3 22:23:46 UTC 2007

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 12:34 PM -0500 6/3/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Jim Dever wrote:
>>> After updating my FC6 to Fedora 7 I'm getting this at boot time after
>>> (obviously) an 30 second pause:
>>>
>>> ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0xd0)
>>> ata2: port failed to respond (30 secs, Status 0xd0)
>>> ata2: soft resetting port
>>> ata2.01: failed to IDENTIFY (device reports illegal type, err_mask=0x0)
>>> ata2.01: revalidation failed (errno=-22)
>>> ata2.01: disabled
>>> ata2: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
>>>
>>> I'm sure this is due to an ancient OnStream 30GB tape drive installed on
>>> that port but I do use it occasionally under Windows.  Is there any way
>>> to tell Fedora to ignore the probe for this device so as to avoid the delay?
>>>
>> I was hoping to find the SCSI equivalent of the noprobe option for
>> IDE devices, but I didn't find one. (I may have missed it.) ...
>
> AFAICT by googling, there just isn't one yet, and it is a known lack.

Thanks to both of you for responding.  I was beginning to wonder if I
was the only one with a similar problem.  I was looking for something
like the noprobe option as well but since I'm fairly new to linux (mild
dabbling on and off for years)I wasn't sure if I was blind or not.

Please yell if you find a solution.

Thanks!

--
Jim