Finally got around top putting F7 on my lappy & need a radio

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Jun 4 02:04:35 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 03 June 2007, David G. Miller wrote:
> >Looks like something like system-config-network puts the value in the
> >appropriate ifcfg script in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
> >
> >[dave at spindle network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth1
> ># Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
> >DEVICE=eth1
> >ONBOOT=no
> >BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> >HWADDR=00:90:4b:ac:8f:67
> >PEERDNS=yes
> >DHCP_HOSTNAME=spindle
> >TYPE=Wireless
> >USERCTL=yes
> >IPV6INIT=no
> >ESSID=pr3v3ct
> >CHANNEL=11
> >MODE=Auto # <== HERE
> >RATE=Auto
>
> Both of the above options are an error here, getting me
> Set Mode (8B06)
> and
> Set Bit Rate (8B20)
>
> and dhcp fails, with the radio then being turned off a few seconds after the
> dhcp timeout.
So?  Fire up vi and edit the appropriate /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
file.  Set Mode to "Managed" and Rate to 11M (start conservative).  The
values are passed to iwconfig through
/etc/sysconfi/network-scripts/ifup-wireless.  If you need to check on
exactly how to specify a particular value, check the man page for
iwconfig.  Also, dhcp will fail if the link layer isn't established.  It
failing is fallout; not a symptom.

The default seems to be to turn the radio off if a connection can't be
established.  Really irritating since there doesn't seem to be any way
to turn it back on except a reboot for some hardware.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce