Fedora 7 CD iso files?

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 15:22:14 UTC 2007

Knute Johnson wrote:

> CDs are simple and fairly reliable (more so now that I figured out
> how solve the media check problem).  My mail server is still at FC5
> because I didn't want to risk blowing it up when I upgraded it.  Now
> it is time to upgrade and there are no disks.  Upgrading is hazardous
> enough without having to drag computers around, change their
> addresses, do an install that I can't find any real instructions for
> and drag my desktop downstairs.
>
> I think maybe I'll just change my mail server computer to ubuntu
> server.  They just upgrade from the net.  No disks.

Which of course you can do with Fedora.  Just boot from the resuce CD
and select the option to install/update.  Select an HTTP or FTP update
and point it to your closest mirror.

I wouldn't do this sort of update personally as I'd be concerned about
my network connection breaking part way through (especially with the
pounding the mirrors are getting at the moment), but you can do it.

Frankly I get more nervous about online updates with Ubuntu (which I
also run) than updating any of my Fedora machines.

For your situation if you can't set up an nfs server I'd probably copy
the DVD iso onto each machine and do a hard disk install.

Simon.