F7 install: grub prompt on reboot

stan stanl at cox.net
Mon Jun 4 20:19:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:41:41 +0200
"Colin Brace" <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Jay Goodman <fedora-list at goody.homelinux.net> wrote:
>
> > I had a similar problem with this and FC6.   I had a USB thumbdrive
> > pluggin in at boot.   Grub got awfully confused with the key
> > plugged in.
>
> Jay, I leave a couple of USB drives plugged in, but I had no problem
> booting FC6. For the time being, I've switch them off.
>
> What's baffling me is that when I boot from the F7 DVD, it gives me
> drives different dev names than when booting from disk. Normally, my
> boot drive is /dev/sdd, but when booting from the CD fdisk lists it as
> /dev/sdc.
Just guessing, but from Jay's comments above and the way grub menu.lst
is setup, the boot point is something like hd(3,4).  This is where it
expects to find the kernel image.  If it can't it stops and looks for
help.  The removables will confuse it if they change.

Are you pointing to the /boot partition if it is different from the
root partition?