What is this web site trying to do?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Jun 4 23:48:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:28:55 -0500
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > Many web browsers (including Firefox) automatically look for and download a
>
> I use Mozilla, and I see nothing like what you describe.

Firefox and Opera do it.  I don't think Mozilla does at this time.  At least,
two minutes of Google-fu doesn't say much about it.

> Hmm. That's certainly something I would disable if I could, and if I
> couldn't I'd change browsers. Sounds like a great opportunity for a
> security breach.

I don't know if it differs much from allowing any other image to download
with your web browser, though I'm not enough of an expert on that to have a
valid opinion.

A lot of websites have a favicon.ico, including Slashdot and most "big" sites
like CNN and the like.