Fedora 7: Id "x" respawing too fast

Andreas Bernauer fedora at lysium.de
Tue Jun 5 13:38:46 UTC 2007

J Taylor wrote on Tue, Jun 05 2007 at 06:40 (-0500):
> I just upgraded from FC6 to Fedora 7 on my laptop (x86_64).  During start-up,
> it stalls with the following message:
> INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> What do I need to do to resolve this?

The init process (the first process which gets started on your machine
after the kernel has booted) starts several other programs and watches
them, for example getty which connects to the virtual consoles of the
text login screens.  If the program exits (eg. the user logs out),
init restarts the program.

However, if there is a bug/problem with the program right after its
start that does not go away by restarting the program, this mechanisms
leads to a continuous restart of the program.  If init detects this,
it stops respawning the program for some time, in your case 5 minutes.

In your case the program labeled with 'x' respawns too fast.  Check
your /etc/inittab to see what program is started under the label 'x'
(on my system: /etx/X11/prefdm).  I assume the program is supposed to
start the graphical login screen (xdm or similar), which fails for
some reason (most probable cause: X configuration file damaged or
graphics card not supported).

Andreas.

--
http://www.lysium.de/blog