Long boot delay probing hardware

Jim Dever jdever at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 6 23:13:07 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 19:40:00 -0400
> Jim Dever <jdever at triad.rr.com> wrote:

>>> On reset your hardware isn't reporting a consistent type which is
>>> confusing the kernel trying to identify what it is.
>>>
>> True.  This is because support for Onstream (a company now bankrupt)
>> tape drive was removed from the latest kernel.  I'd be happy if I could
>
> No. Its nothing to do with that. The hardware is doing something very
> strange and enough to confuse the newer driver layer.

Oops... sorry.. it was just an assumption.  I guess I assumed wrong.  I
hate to be stupid but... where do I start to look for resolution or who
do I grab to help me out with this?

My hardware is a Dell Dimension 8200 (almost 7 years old now).  After
the error message it boots fine and everything seems to work.  It's just
the 30sec+ delay that annoys me.

--
Jim
OpenPGP KeyID:  0x006921e