bcm43xx mac80211: YOUR FIRMWARE IS TOO OLD.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 07:19:28 UTC 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007, bucky wrote:
>I'd be really interested in a guide explaining HOW to get the old
>driver to work in Fedora 7. I tracked down and replaced my old
>firmware files with 4.0 ones because /var/log/messages told me to.
>
>Except now trying to activate wlan0 tells me:
>
>Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
>    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
>
>Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
>
>I'm presuming this means the firmware is now too new--I'm
>really not sure. All I know is that the wireless card used to work
>under FC6 and now it doesn't.
>
>I can tell you that /sbin/lspci gives me:
>03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
>Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
>
>and that /sbin/lspci -n tells me
>03:00.0 0280: 14e4:4320 (rev 03)
>
>...but this completely taxes the limits of my ability to diagnose my
>own problem. I have tried Googling, but my search terms lead to very
>discussions of the WPA Supplicant which are totally over my head, and
>how this was a big problem in RedHat 9, but is All Fixed Now.
>
>I have gone to bcm43xx.berlios.de. The Support page tells me to RTFM,
>and the Documentation pages for installation that aren't about
>Debian and Ubuntu lead me to a page full of links for "Russian Woman"
>and "Airline Travel"--but it seems cheaper to simply buy a new
>wireless card than to travel to Russia and ask the women there for
>tech support.
:)
>I replaced the firmware files with the ones I had before that used to
>work and added "blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211" to
>/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and rebooted. But that just made everything
>worse. The driver didn't recognize the card at ALL anymore, even
>though the bcm43xx driver was listed as the result of /sbin/lsmod.
>
>I'm stumped.

And your email agent is broken, its doing html-like character substitutions
without also applying the proper MIME type specs to allow our email readers
to decode and restore the proper display formats.

What the heck is PHPMailer?, I never heard of it before.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)