FC7 Grub problem

Ernest kong_an563 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 01:58:53 UTC 2007

In the release notes for FC7:

IDE devices names are changing, [release notes, Linux
Kernel] from /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.

I also noticed, and can not find again, a note that
disk partitions need a LABEL=, and that /etc/fstab
must be changed to reflect this change.

in my /etc/fstab is the entry for the boot partition
as:
  LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

This happened automagically in FC6, and I think it is
done when the disk partition is created. In other
words, you need to label your disk partitions.

If grub can't boot, or the kernel can't locate the
partition because it is not labeled, or the kernel is
looking for the wrong label. you might get stuck at
that point.

I've not yet made the upgrade, so I'm not sure this is
helpfull

See http://docs/fedoraprojects.org/release-notes/