Fedora 7

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jun 8 02:13:47 UTC 2007

Steve Siegfried wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>>     I installed Fedora 7 and tried to install Thunderbird Email client
>> but it will not run on Fedora 7. At least I didn't get it to.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Your comment isn't actually all that helpful in determining why it
> doesn't work.  Was the install an upgrade from an earlier version of FC
> or did you do an initial install?  Did any warning messages appear while
> you were installing the software?  Did you follow the directions that
> popped up on the screen the first time you invoked Thunderbird?  When you
> kick off Thunderbird, does it dump core, just quit, catch fire... what?
>
> Just for giggles, try invoking "/usr/bin/thunderbird" from an Xterm and
> then check the Xterm for error messages after it dies... and then post
> 'em here if you want help in fixing the problem.
>
> -S
>
> Computers run on smoke.  I know this because when the smoke escapes, the box
> quits working.

I'm trying to install Thunderbird 2.0 on this Fedora 7 Linux. When I tar
xvfz the download package in the directory is a thunderbird. I tried to
start that as I do all the time on Fedora Core 4 and I get this:

isp                 libsmime3.so     mozilla-xremote-client
libfreebl3.chk      libsoftokn3.chk  README.txt
[karl at localhost thunderbird]$ ./thunderbird
./thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5:
cannot
[karl at localhost thunderbird]$

It can't find libstdc++.so.5

I tried %/usr/bin/fedora and it said no such file

[karl at localhost ~]$ work/thunderbird/thunderbird
work/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[karl at localhost ~]$

[karl at localhost ~]$ whereis libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
[karl at localhost ~]$

So if Thunderbird is looking for xxx.so.5 it will not find it. Seems to
me I did some sim links once to fix this stupid problem

Karl Larsen