Google earth on FC6

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Jun 8 16:08:52 UTC 2007

Sultan Saini wrote:
> I have FC6 (kernel 2.6.21+ 2.6.22rc3 prepatch) with Mobility Radeon X1600
> (fglrx driver).
>
> I recently installed the Linux version googleearth (i.e. not the Windows
> version under Wine). When I try to run it, googleearth appears to hang
> after
> displaying the splash screen. CPU usage climbs to about 50% and I can see
> occasional network activity, but the application never actually comes up.

Yeup, Xorg is mis-configured.

> I have a dual head configuration on my laptop (the 2nd monitor is a Dell
> LCD
> monitor). Other gl applications run fine (glxgears, World of Warcraft
> running under Wine).
>
> Heres my xorg.conf:
>
> ###Begin xorg.conf
> # Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>    Identifier     "Multihead layout"
>    Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
>    Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
>    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>    InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
>    Option        "Xinerama" "off"
>    Option        "Clone" "on"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
>    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>    Option        "AIGLX" "off"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>    Driver      "kbd"
>    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
>    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier  "Synaptics"
>    Driver      "synaptics"
>    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>    Option        "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>    Identifier   "Monitor1"
>    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>    ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
>    HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
>    VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>    Option        "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>    Identifier   "Monitor1"
>    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>    ModelName    "Dell 2405FPW (Digital)"
>    HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
>    VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
>    Option        "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "Videocard0"
>    Driver      "fglrx"
>    Option        "VideoOverlay" "on"
>    Option        "UseFastTLS" "0"
>    Option        "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
>    Option        "ForceGenericCPU" "off"
>    Option        "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "Videocard1"
>    Driver      "fglrx"
>    VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
>    BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600]"
>    Option        "VideoOverlay" "on"
>    Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
>    Option "UseFastTLS" "off"
>    Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
> [...]

I don't see any modules listed.  Is DRI enabled?  check with:

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

If it says yes, you should be all set, if not, try adding the following:

> Section "Module"
>         Load  "dbe"
>         Load  "extmod"
>         Load  "fbdevhw"
>         Load  "GLcore"
>         Load  "glx"
>         Load  "record"
>         Load  "freetype"
>         Load  "type1"
>         Load  "synaptics"
>         Load  "dri"
> EndSection

to your xorg.conf file.  IF it still doesn't work, you will need to look
at your Xorg.0.log file in detail to see what's failing.

> Google search reveals that others have had a similar problem with Google
> Earth and ATI cards on linux; however, I couldn't find any solutions so
> far.

Works for me on my X1600 laptop.

--
Kevin J. Cummings