Wifi problems (FC 6)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 9 12:57:32 UTC 2007

On Saturday 09 June 2007, Joe Barnett wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I need to run this box on a wireless connection, and am having some
> > problems.

Hi, Joe.  There is good news and bad news :-)

> > 1 - I have a very poor signal, considering that the box is only around 3m
> > (10ft) from the router.  I changed the antenna on the router to one that
> > says it increases range by up to 50%, maximum 40m, but the strength
> > received hasn't altered.  I still get only 40% strength.
>
> Maybe time for a new router/access point?  I was having issues with
> my original access point (similar: it started to lose power/signal,
> if that is the correct way to phrase it) and finally just replaced
> it.  Of course this happened just following expiration of the
> warranty...

No, it's not the router.  That's a brand-new Netgear634g, and my Mandrive
laptop with ipw2200 gets an excellent signal from it.  I think it must be
either a misconfiguration or a driver problem, madwifi not suiting this card.
I wonder about this, as I have another box that runs Mandriva, but has the
same wireless card as this box.  It has the same connection problems.  To me,
that makes the driver a prime suspect.

> > 2 - I thought that wpa_supplicant cached the passphrase, but it doesn't
> > seem to.  I still have to give the passphrase after bootup completes.
>
> Maybe I am doing this wrong, but I keep the passphrase in
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> network={
>         ssid="ssid name"
>         #psk="passphrase"
> 	psk="hashed passphrase"
> }

Here comes the good news.  I had in there 'proto=WPA'.  Changing it
to 'proto=RSN' has brought the signal up to 55-58% - not good, but a good
deal better.

> Keep wpa_supplicant.conf readable only by root: 0400 or 0600

It's 600.

There seems to be a war going on, between NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant.
I get two dialogues requesting the passphrase, and NetworkManager seeme to
win.  It presumably brings up the network on dhcp, as it gets 192.168.0.2.  I
work entirely on static, and that's not the address it should be using.
OTOH, I would have thought that it would work, being on the same sub-net, but
it doesn't find my server.  There seems to be nothing I can do with it apart
from shut down the connection, then run wlassistant, re-entering all the
configuration afresh.

> I run my script to kick off wpa_supplicant at the start of rc.local.
>  There may be a better way, but it works well enough.

I'll come back to that.

> > 3 - At bootup, ntpd tries to run before there is a connection.  I'd like
> > to get the connection up in time to use ntpd at boot.  What would I need
> > to do?
> >

> Try running "ntpd -gq" at the end of rc.local to sync the clock.
> Then kick off nptd (with your normal settings) following that.

I'm not sure I understand that - what do you mean by the second statement?

> I have been using OpenNTPD (www.openntpd.org) for several years.
> Starting OpenNTPD with the "-s" flag should obviate the need for
> "ntpd -gq" or ntpdate earlier in the sequence, but I do both (if for
> no other reason than to feel I am covering all bases).
>
> Two notes: 1) I am not trying to start an ntpd war by mentioning
> OpenNTPD, and 2) "ntpd -gq" is valid only for the stock ntpd
> (/usr/sbin/ntpd), OpenNTPD accepts only two or three startup
> options, and "-gq" are not among them.
>
> So my rc.local looks something like this:
>
> # wpa_supplicant
> /path/to/script
>
> # sync clock
> /usr/sbin/ntpd -gq
>
> # start OpenNTPD
> /usr/local/sbin/ntpd -s -f /usr/local/etc/ntpd.conf
>
> One final note: the laptop to which I am referring stays in the
> house and uses a local timeserver from which to sync; I have high
> confidence that "ntpd -gq" will sync quickly, exit, and allow
> rc.local to continue to be processed.  I have a MacBook which
> travels and I use the same sequence in it (sans the wpa_supplicant
> stuff, of course) and it seems to work well.  YMMV.

Thanks

Anne