how can i remove unused but loaded kernel modules?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 15:57:45 UTC 2007

Hey Eric,

Your partly right.

> However, they'd still have to load during bootup, then they'd get removed
> as a final step in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  I think what Mark wanted (Mark,
> please correct me if I'm wrong) is not to load them in the first place, so
> that bootup happens faster.

that`s what i want indeed.

I'm far, far away from being any kind of an expert on Linux use of modules,
> but isn't it true that modules only get loaded if they are needed?  So, if
> Mark goes through all the startup services (in chkconfig, or
> system-config-services) and disables all the ones he doesn't want or need
> (which will probably be a lot of them), won't that result in modules not
> getting loaded that are assocuated with the eliminated startup processes?

That`s partly right.
i did remove all the services that i didn`t want  but the loaded module list
is still the same.
i even removed all the modprobe files and it`s still exactly the same. (rm
-rf /etc/modprobe*) (actually moved them to my personal folder.. /home/mark)

This is the list of modules that i have:

[root at localhost ~]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ipv6                  276673  20
> i915                   25793  3
> drm                    78037  4 i915
> autofs4                24645  2
> nf_conntrack_ftp       13761  0
> nf_conntrack_netbios_ns     7105  0
> nf_conntrack_ipv4      15049  12
> xt_state                6593  12
> nf_conntrack           61001  4
> nf_conntrack_ftp,nf_conntrack_netbios_ns,nf_conntrack_ipv4,xt_state
> nfnetlink              10841  2 nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack
> xt_tcpudp               7233  14
> ipt_REJECT              8641  2
> iptable_filter          6977  1
> ip_tables              16389  1 iptable_filter
> x_tables               18757  4 xt_state,xt_tcpudp,ipt_REJECT,ip_tables
> cpufreq_ondemand       11981  1
> acpi_cpufreq           14281  1
> dm_multipath           21705  0
> video                  21065  0
> sbs                    19173  0
> i2c_ec                  9281  1 sbs
> button                 12113  0
> dock                   13669  0
> battery                14149  0
> ac                      9413  0
> lp                     15977  0
> parport                38025  1 lp
> loop                   19785  0
> arc4                    6209  2
> ecb                     7489  2
> blkcipher              10181  1 ecb
> rc80211_simple          8257  1
> sdhci                  21069  0
> serio_raw              10821  0
> mmc_core               30661  1 sdhci
> b44                    29517  0
> mii                     9409  1 b44
> iTCO_wdt               14693  0
> pcspkr                  7105  0
> iTCO_vendor_support     7877  1 iTCO_wdt
> iwl3945               141477  0
> i2c_i801               12241  0
> intelfb                38629  0
> mac80211              136005  2 rc80211_simple,iwl3945
> cfg80211               12105  1 mac80211
> i2c_algo_bit           11337  1 intelfb
> i2c_core               24641  4 i2c_ec,i2c_i801,intelfb,i2c_algo_bit
> sr_mod                 20197  0
> cdrom                  37217  1 sr_mod
> snd_hda_intel          24281  0
> snd_hda_codec         202689  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_pcm                74565  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
> snd_timer              24773  1 snd_pcm
> snd                    53189  4
> snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore              11553  1 snd
> snd_page_alloc         13769  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> joydev                 13441  0
> sg                     37213  0
> dm_snapshot            20709  0
> dm_zero                 6209  0
> dm_mirror              24277  0
> dm_mod                 57229  9 dm_multipath,dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror
> ata_piix               18757  2
> ata_generic            12101  0
> libata                115417  2 ata_piix,ata_generic
> sd_mod                 23873  3
> scsi_mod              137549  4 sr_mod,sg,libata,sd_mod
> [...]

Now all the modules that have: "Used By 0" can be thrown away because
nothing is using it.
that`s what i want. i don`t want to load the modules first and unload them
at the end of the boot progress (that doesn`t speed up the boot progress but
slows it down).

please tell me that it`s possible without recompiling the kernel :) (if
not.. that will take serveral hours)

any ideas?