Unknown symbol video_devdata etc....please help

Parth Pathak parthpathak at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 20:11:55 UTC 2007

Hi Gene and all,

>quickcam: Unknown symbol video_devdata
>quickcam: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
>quickcam: Unknown symbol video_register_device
>
>I search on internet regarding this error and found many different things
> but not a specific thing I should do. I think some other module is
> preloaded and it is conflicting with the new one I am trying to load.
> Please help me with this problem.
>
>>Did you run a "depmod -a `uname -r`" (without the double quotes & as root)
>>after installing it?

Yes, I did and it didn't give me any complaints for missing symbols. hope that was the only reason you were saying me to run depmod.. is that correct??

my output is -

# /sbin/insmod ./quickcam.ko
insmod: error inserting './quickcam.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

#dmesg
.
.
.
quickcam: Unknown symbol video_devdata
quickcam: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
quickcam: Unknown symbol video_register_device
quickcam: Unknown symbol video_devdata
quickcam: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
quickcam: Unknown symbol video_register_device

# /sbin/lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0424:2504 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0846:6a00 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:3010 Dell Computer Corp. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 413c:2005 Dell Computer Corp.

Is there any other video module I need to load before I load this one? or any other clue is appreciated..

Please let me know if I can make any other driver to make work for my webcam. I am using Camorama as framegrabbing application..
Is any one using similar webcam on FC?

thanks

pp