Why I quit Fedora 7

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jun 10 01:58:26 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> If you are looking for more stability, you might like CentOS5 at
>>> least for the near future.  It is very, very much like FC6 at the
>>> end of its development and it will have a long security/bugfix
>>> support life. The downside is that it never gets 'new feature'
>>> updates within the version life, so a year or two from now it may
>>> look fairly dated as a desktop platform.
>>>
>>    Well for stability I can't fault Fedora Core 4 which I am using
>> now. I have been using it for 3 years about and it never seems to
>> have a problem. It will soon outlive Windows XP :-)
>
> Every fedora version is solid near/at the end of its life but then you
> don't even get security updates.

Well I have d/l 2 of the 6 cd-rom's for Fedora Core 6 so I replaced
Fedora 7 with a bare bones FC6 that looks a lot better than F7! So far
it all works. As for security you can't beat a DSL systems fire wall. I
live 1 mile from New Mexico State U which I taught at before retirement.
They have 30-50 hackers there who try their best to get into my Linux.
None have yet.

Karl