Fedora 7 install hung [Was: Re: Fedora 7 CD iso files?]

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Sun Jun 10 02:50:10 UTC 2007

Philip Walden wrote:
>> Frank Cox wrote:

>>> You already have a mail server and a desktop machine.  Why not copy the
>>> dvdimage and host a nfs server on one (which will take you about 3
>>> minutes to
>>> set up), and boot off of the cdrom boot.iso on the other; upgrade
>>> it.  Then copy
>>> the dvd image to the other, host a nfs server on that, and upgrade it.
>>>
>>> Assuming that they are in the same room (or can be brought into the
>>> same room)
>>> it won't take any longer to do it this way than it would take to
>>> shuffle
>>> all of those CD's around.  Really
>>>
>> I can try that.
> A short log of my alternative Fedora 7 upgrade from FC6 install on an
> HP OB6000.
>
>   1. Thought I try the iso on the hard drive. So I copied the F-7-DVD
>      iso to my hard drive. Did not work because as I found out later in
>      the install guide, in a special note box: "Cannot Install from LVM
>      Partitions. You cannot use ISO files on partitions controlled by
>      LVM (Logical Volume Management).". LVM is the default install for
>      my laptop. Seems like a bad mis-direction taking away CDs, giving
>      you the iso on hard drive option, but getting you on the LVM
> catch-22.
>   2. http: It was not clear as to what you had to make available via
>      http. Made the F-7 DVD iso accessible. The installer complained.
>   3. Mounted the DVD iso and made the contents accessible via http and
>      was able to proceed.
>
> The upgrade install is still in progress. Cross your fingers.

The finger crossing did not work. It hung on "Checking dependencies in
packages" with the progress dialog at <10%, no disk activity, the cursor
would not track and the spinning wait cursor froze.

Restarted and this time I got several hours into the install to "5 of
864 completed Installing glibc-common - 2.6-3.i386". Same thing, no disk
activity, the cursor would not track and the spinning wait cursor froze.

At this point I suspect my original FC6 is busted. Any suggestions
before I start with a complete, from scratch including disk reformat? I
have seen elsewhere in this list that Fedora 7 hangs and is buggy.
Should I give up and go back to FC6 for now.