F7 DVD problem -

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jun 10 12:27:49 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
>

>> Yes, I gave up on the DVD.iso and downloaded and installed the F7 live
>> gnome.  It is booting for the first time as I write this.
>>

> OK.  FWIW, if I am not mistaken (and I am good a making mistakes) a DVD/CD
> drive has multiple lasers and they are used depending on the media.  I
> recently had a Pioneer drive that would not write DVD-R media but had no
> problems with CDs.  So, you may have a similar case.
>

>> Now I hope that I will be able to install the rpm's in the dvd.iso
>> file!  I try to stay within the 17 gig/30 day cap on my ISP's service
>> [see Wildblue's Fair Access Policy.]  If we exceed that we are throttled
>> back to dial up speed while still paying for premium service, not good!
>> But it's the best of the options available here in the sticks.
>>

> Ouch.  We don't have those kinds of ISPs here in Taiwan.  But, yes, you
> should be able to mount your DVD iso and install what you need from there.
>
> Ed

We have two options available to us in this rural area unless you count
the local cable company who offered to hook us up for $6000
[installation].  The two are either Wildblue or Hughes and the Hughes
FAP is too restrictive for anyone who might want to download Linux CD's
and/or DVD's!

I think I need to use yum to install the RPM's in the F7-DVD.iso file if
things are to update properly but I'm not sure how to accomplish that,
help appreciated but I am about to investigate that.

Bob