Do we have a good alarm clock for the GNOME desktop?

Rogue roguexz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:43:04 UTC 2007

Andreas Bernauer wrote:
> Rogue wrote on Sun, Jun 10 2007 at 15:35 (+0530):
>
>> First up, I am surprised that there is no in-build alarm clock feature
>> in the OS.
>>

> If you mean by "OS" "Fedora", there are at least two standard "alarm clock" features:
> crond and atd.  The first regularly executes commands, the latter executes
> command at a certain point in time.  You can edit the schedule for regular
> commands with 'crontab -e', see the man page for the format of the schedule file.
> You can execute commands at arbitrary points in time with 'at 2:30 pm' and
> then enter the command(s) you want to execute. Finish the list of commands
> to execute with Ctrl+D.
>
> BTW, the first entry on googling for "alarm applet" may be the GUI version
> you are looking for.  The equivalent for KDE is called, you guessed it, 'kalarm'
> (which was automatically installed on my FC6 system, part of kde-pim RPM package).
>
> Searching on freshmeat also shows at least two relevant projects:
> http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=alarm+applet&section=projects
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andreas.

Hi Andreas,

I actually went through the alarm applet home page and it was last
updated back in Feb 2004, so I was wondering if this would be a reliable
applet given the many changes that have come in GNOME. I shall check out
the KDE applet. May be I need to take this question to the GNOME team
and find out the reasoning behind not having an alarm applet, which IMHO
is a necessary piece.

And yes I know of the at / cron programs :-) .. may be I should have
rephrased the question to desktop applet :-)

thanks anyways,
Rogue