suspend-to-ram in fc6

John Ketchum jwketchum at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 15:29:39 UTC 2007

Hi --

I need some advice about getting suspend-to-ram to work on an FC6
installation.

I am runnig FC6 on a desktop system with an Intel 945G family motherboard
and a Pentium D 820 processor.  I am planning to use the machine for a
MythTV backend and file server in my home network, and would like to make
suspend to ram work so that the machine can sleep between video and backup
tasks -- it generates a lot of heat and consumes a fair amount of power when
it is running.

Suspend to ram does not work out of the box -- the machine suspends readily
enough, but it will not come out of the suspend state.  When I hit the power
button while it is suspended, the disk appears to spin up, the fans start,
but I have no video, and the computer does not respond to attempts to
connect over the network..  Caps Lock and Scroll Lock leds on the keyboard
flash.  Only way to  recover is reset and reboot.

I have looked for answers on the web but have not found a coherent answer
that works for me -- at least it appears that suspend to ram functionality
in the kernel is in a state of flux, although it also appears that it works
on some machines and in some kernel versions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?  Is there a way to get this
rking on my machine, or is it a lost cause in FC6?  Do I need to
custom-compile a kernel?  Would I be better off Upgrading to FC7?  Or do I
need to wait until the kernel team has worked through the issue and have a
clean solution?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, help, suggestions.

John K.